DISCOVER CHEATHAM COUNTY
A Brief History
Cheatham County began at the end of the 1800’s. The county was formally established in 1856 by dividing portions of Davidson, Dickson, Robertson, and Montgomery counties. The county seat was named Ashland City and was established with 50 acres being procured from Mr. Lenox for a sum of $713.00. Ashland City now consists of 24 square miles.
Cheatham County’s first newspaper, The Cheatham County Plain Dealer, was established in 1877. Today the county has three newspapers, The Ashland City Times, I-24 Exchange and The Advocate . One of the first industries in Cheatham County was Sycamore Mills, a black powder manufacturer which was established before the Civil War. The Mill is now a historic site.
Many manufacturers and businesses now operate in and around Ashland City. Ashland City is home to the largest manufacturer of water heaters - A.O. Smith and one of the most renowned boat builders - Triton Boats. Highway 12, which runs from Clarksville to Nashville, was originally established as the Hydes’s Ferry Turnpike. The turnpike was built in 1848 and tolls were charged to keep the road in good repair. What originated as a turnpike is now a four-lane highway form Ashland City to Nashville, making Ashland City more accessible to Nashville and other highways.
The old ferry which crossed the Cumberland River was replaced with the Montgomery Bell Bridge, and in 1997 construction began for a new bridge now called the Veteran’s Memorial Bridge.
The southern end of Cheatham County was a thriving railroad community and a summer resort area for tourists. The town if Kingston Springs had two stores, a post office, a railroad depot, a Masonic Lodge, a blacksmith shop, and was the center of trade for the south Cheatham area. The railroad depot is now a restaurant and the summer resorts are historical sites waiting to be renovated. A new post office was built in 1995. All commercial trade now centers around the Interstate 40 exit, not the railroad.
Pegram also centered around the railroad with a depot being built around 1860. Today, the depot is still there and is used as a community center for its residents. The railway is still in operation for freight traffic. The Harpeth River runs through this end of the county and many enjoy the recreation opportunities it provides.
Pleasant View, at the Northern most tip of the county, was incorporated in August 1996 and is hopeful of much to come as Interstate 24 borders the town, bringing prospects of commercial and industrial development.